Tuesday 31 January 2012

Phrasal Verb - come across

  1. While I was cleaning I came across a large wad of cash in your pocket.  Can you explain?
  2. He is the most obnoxious man I have ever come across.
  3. Whose keys are these?  I came across them in the bathroom.
  4. I've never come across anything like this before!  Where did you get it?
So now you can work out the meaning of come across.
Is it ...

  1. finding something / meeting someone by chance, or
  2. going to a place to get something or meet someone?
That's right.  The correct answer is number 1.

Grammar for "come across"

"come across" is a inseparable phrasal verb.
This means that you can say...

  • She came across your keys in the bathroom.
  • She came across them in the bathroom.

But, you CANNOT say ...

  • She came your keys across in the bathroom.
  • She came them across in the bathroom.

Bringing English to your door!

No comments:

Post a Comment